Paediatric Critical Care
Intensive care unit / HDU / ECMO
INTENSIVE CARE UNIT
Advanced Treatment Facility for Critically ill Children
The Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) of Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai is the most advanced treatment facility of its kind, providing the highest level of care for critically ill and injured children. The advanced technological resources in the PICU at Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai have resulted in excellent treatment results.
The PICU team provides treatment that is current, evidence-based and closely adheres to global best practices. The unit is staffed by internationally trained and highly committed Paediatric Intensive Care physicians and provides critical care for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They liaise regularly with paediatric medical and surgical subspecialists regarding coordination of care, discharge and follow-up. In addition, specially trained Critical Care nurses complement PICU care.
Intensive Medical-Surgical-Nursing care
- Strict isolation practices
- Invasive / non-invasive monitoring
- Multi-system trauma care
- Infectious Disease support that contributes to the targeted therapy of resistant and complicated infections
- Stringent Infection Control department that strictly monitors infection prevention and minimises hospital acquired infections.
- Specialised Burn Intensive Care
- Cardiac Intensive Care after surgery for congenital heart disease
- PICU care after complex abdominal and thoracic surgery, neurosurgical and craniofacial and spinal surgery
- Oncological / Haematological Care
- Procedural Sedation
EXPERIENCE IN EXTRA-CORPOREAL MEMBRANE OXYGENATION (ECMO)
- The specialised and unique state-of-the-art ECMO area is located within the PICU complex. With positive pressure controlled air-ﬂow and anti-microbial surfaces, the ECMO unit has stringent infection-control standards that match those in the Operation Theatre
- Experienced multi-disciplinary team can set up ECMO under an hour for severe respiratory or cardio-respiratory failure that has failed conventional therapy
- Many critically ill children who have failed conventional therapies have successfully undergone VV-ECMO (for refractory respiratory failure) and VA-ECMO (for refractory shock)
NEONATAL INTENSIVE CARE UNIT (NICU)
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai, is a specialist intensive care unit which provides world renowned high quality care for newborn babies from across the region.
We provide the following services –
- Specialise in caring for babies who are born at 24 weeks or later as well as newborn with a variety of complex surgical and cardiac problems.
- Conventional and high frequency ventilation as well as Nitric oxide.
- Total body cooling with Tecothem (Therapeutic Hypothermic) for babies born with Hypoxic Ischemic Encephelopathy.
- Follow up care and Neurodevelopmental assessment in outpatients to monitor the progress of infants treated in our NICU.
- All babies go through OAE screening or hearing before discharge.
- Retinopathy of prematurity screening programme is done by our dedicated team of Ophthalmologists.
Neonatal Unit has well trained nurses, physiotherapists, speech therapists, pharmacists and dieticians.