ADVANCED NEONATAL INTENSIVE CARE UNIT (NICU)
New-born babies who need intensive medical attention are often admitted into a special section of the hospital called the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
Statistics show that 20-30 % of all pregnancies worldwide are high risk and India accounts for 18 % of the world’s 14.9 million preterm births. Unexpected conditions & risk factors can affect the pregnancy and alter what is needed at the time of delivery. We understand that all parents want the best for their babies, before and after birth. Keeping this in mind we have designed a state-of-the-art Neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai. It is one of the best in Navi Mumbai in terms of design, medical infrastructure, equipment and quality of care.
The internationally trained new-born specialists and the NICU support staff are dedicated to provide advanced care to new-borns with critical illness.
SALIENT FEATURES OF NICU:
- 16 beds; one of the largest centres in Navi Mumbai
- Separate cubicles for inborn, out born and septic babies
- Neonatal transport services – with Incubator and ventilator
Comprehensive care for babies belonging to all high risk categories: extremely premature, having one or more major structural abnormalities, serous inherited disorders or life – threatening birth asphyxia (lack of oxygen, around the time of birth), severe jaundice, infection etc.
NICU TEAM MEMBERS:
- Newborn Baby Specialist – We have internationally trained doctors in newborn care to give best possible outcome for sick babies in NICU
- 24 x 7 availability of Doctors – We have round the clock availability of MD/DNB paediatricians who are trained to manage every emergency situation
- Trained NICU Nursing Staff – A registered nurse who specializes in the care of newborns will be assigned to your baby. We also ensure that the nurse to baby ratio is at par with the international standards
- Breastfeeding support –Our lactation specialists & NICU nurses help new mothers express breast milk and store it for feeding by tube until their baby is ready to breastfeed. They also assist mothers and babies with positioning & latching
- Multi-disciplinary team of specialists – Infectious Disease specialists, Cardiology, Endocrinology, Genetics, Haematology, Orthopaedics, Pulmonology, Neurology, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and Audiology experts
ANTENATAL COUNSELLING FOR PARENTS:
We counsel family members regarding expected difficulties during and after birth, especially in high-risk pregnancies.
PARENT FRIENDLY NICU:
Clinicians and the support staff assist the family throughout the treatment processes. Mothers are welcome to visit NICU at any time as we consider them to be the primary care-givers. Fathers are also allowed during specific hours.
DEVELOPMENTALLY SUPPORTIVE CARE:
Infant survival is our aim and to ensure that we practice developmentally supportive care strategies like kangaroo mother care, nesting of new-borns and high risk follow-up OPD; where continued care after discharge is an integral part of our services.
PARENT TRAINING PROGRAMME:
All parents who have babies admitted in the NICU will be advised on how to look after the babies at home before the baby is discharged. Till date, we have treated more than 400 babies, including a 25 week old baby. The clinical outcomes are comparable to International standards.