DIAGNOSTICS SERVICES IN MUMBAI
Radiology and imaging sciences are key facets in the delivery of high-end diagnostics in cancer care. Our continuous innovation and development in these vital fields have had a tremendously positive impact in our fight against cancer. Radiology has evolved from purely diagnostic devices to interventional technologies. New contrast agents in MRI, X-Ray and ultrasound enable physicians to make diagnosis and plan therapies with greater precision than ever before. Be it the PET-CT or Digital Mammogram, we ensure that we have the latest equipment to ensure better and earlier diagnosis of cancer.
PET/CT is a fusion of two cutting-edge imaging techniques; Positron Emission Tomography (PET), which shows the metabolic changes at cellular level, and Multi-detector computed tomography (MDCT), which gives exquisite morphological details of the anatomy. With this combination of metabolic and anatomical imaging techniques in one exam, the PET/CT scan gives an accurate diagnosis and prognosis of many diseases, especially in the fields of Oncology, Cardiology, and Neurology. PET maps images of normal and abnormal metabolic activity, while CT provides anatomic information about the exact location of this metabolic activity. The combination of PET and CT, the PET/CT, gives best of both the world’s. PET/CT fusion technology has proved to be a powerful, non-invasive imaging tool that can render diagnosis that no other imaging test can singularly provide, and
has become a highly helpful tool for physicians. With the help of PET/CT, clinical care can be streamlined, decisions can be made easily and rationally, and unnecessary treatments can be avoided. This practice of evidence-based medicine has taken medical care to the next level. The PET/CT at Apollo Cancer Centre, Navi Mumbai comes equipped with advanced clinical software for Oncology, Cardiology, and Neurology. This is one of the most advanced scanners at this point of time in the world.
The highlights of the PET/CT scanner in Apollo Hospitals, Navi Mumbai:
- Most advanced PET/CT system in India with ‘Flow technology’.
- State-of-the-art ‘Time-of-flight’ (TOF) technology brings ultra-high definition clinical images with 50% less radiation exposure.
- Biograph mCT X offers Hi-Rez technology that improves accuracy in clinical diagnosis.
- Combination of Flow and Time-of-flight technology improves accuracy of scanning and reduces re-scans.
- Capable of accurate radiotherapy planning with laser precision and respiratory gating for exact tumor volume definition.
- Biograph mCT X offers consistent quantitative accuracy throughout the entire image, helping to make a difference in diagnostic confidence, therapy planning, and early treatment monitoring.
Preparing for your PET/CT Scan
- For a period of 6 hours prior to the PET/CT scan appointment, please DO NOT eat or drink anything, except plain water. This is important for getting better images as this is a functional imaging.
- Please plan to spend 2 to 3 hours at the hospital.
- If you have diabetes or have history of claustrophobia or if patient is going to require sedation for the scan, then please let us know before you come in for your appointment. Our staff will discuss and give you special instructions before the scan.
- You should wear warm comfortable clothing for your scan. Please avoid wearing jewellery or metallic objects.
- You should not exercise on the day prior to your PET/CT scan or on the day of your PET/CT scan. Preferably avoid sweets, milk, juices, soft drinks for at least 12 to 18 hours before the scan. For women in child bearing age: please make sure that you are not pregnant.
What a patient needs to carry for their PET/CT scan appointment
- The written prescription from your physician.
- Any previous CT, MRI, PET/CT films / CDs; clinical papers/file; and recent lab reports containing serum creatinine value.
Unique wide design
Unique system design with 78 cm wide bore significantly reduces the claustrophobic feeling and makes the scan experience a pleasant one.
Higher count sensitivity
PET/CT provides high quality PET images with functional and metabolic information and the ability to co-register them seamlessly with diagnostic CT images. CT provides images with the best resolution of anatomical information and ability to pinpoint abnormalities in small areas. The fusion of PET & CT provides the highest accuracy, thereby increasing diagnostic confidence and precision of results.
This system allows for high sensitivity, high resolution scans which produce optimum and accurate data in minimal time.
Provided with PET/CT viewer which allows for automated image registration and review.
Areas where PET/CT is used
PET/CT is a rapidly evolving imaging modality and PET/CT has become one of the cornerstones of patient management in oncology. Indications for FDG PET/CT include but are not limited to, the following:
- Searching for an unknown primary tumour when metastatic disease is discovered as the first manifestation of cancer or when the patient presents with a paraneoplastic syndrome.
- Staging patients with known malignancies
- Monitoring the effect of therapy on known malignancies.
- Determining whether residual abnormalities detected on physical examination or on other imaging studies following treatment represent tumour or post-treatment fibrosis or necrosis.
- Detecting tumour recurrence, especially in the presence of elevated tumour markers.
- Selection of the region of tumour most likely to yield diagnostic information for biopsy.
- Guiding radiation therapy planning. Non-Oncological Indications for FDG PET/CT: FDG PET/CT also has an increasingly relevant role in Neurology, Cardiology, and inflammation and infection imaging.
- Tumor recurrence
- Epilepsy/refractory seizures
- Ischemic heart disease for cardiac viability
- FUO (Fever of Unknown Origin)
- Sodium Fluoride (F-18) PET/CT scan for bone metastatic work up
Intelligent dose and compression
Two of the most important advantages to the MAMMOMAT Inspiration lie in its ability to produce excellent image quality and individualized dose. To optimally match the breast density and thickness of your patient, it offers three anode/filter combinations: Mo/Mo. Mo/Rh and W/Rh. Opdose® will automatically select the best anode/filter combination for the individual breast characteristics. Opdose is designed to minimize a patient’s radiation dose and exposure time.
It has fast & quick acquisition. stereotactic biopsy attachment further enhances the prompt action required i.e. minimally invasive procedure and early diagnosis especially in pre malignant things like microcalcifications, suspected DCIS.
The function applies compression until the breast is no longer soft and pliable. The compression paddle will stop at the point of optimal compression. The material composition of the paddles provides a warm and smooth feeling during the exam.
The advanced technology reduces radiation dose significantly when compared to conventional exposure. Especially for large breasts, a dose reduction can be achieved.
With its automation and integration in screening, MAMMOMAT Inspiration reduces the number of steps required to produce exam results.
The Opdose feature of Inspiration is designed to minimize a patient’s radiation dose and exposure time. The Opcomp feature optimizes breast compression.
Salient features – Mammomat Inspiration:
- Flexible modular platform for screening, diagnosis & stereotactic biopsy
- Unique feature for optimal compression without causing patient discomfort
- Unique feature for best image quality with lowest dose
- Intelligent stereotactic biopsy system with high image quality for early intervention & early diagnosis
- Advanced Tomosynthesis system with wide angle of 50 degrees.